Skip to main content

FROM ISLAM TO CHRISTIANITY: MY STORY OF COURAGE AND BOLDNESS





Every decision has consequences. Be aware! I knew it that once I take this path, questions will be raised and answers must be given. I was aware that people would be hurt, trust will get wings and takeoff, and relationships will break. I knew it for sure. Being a guy who also knew the impact of the statement "with time", I was sure that things would be normal again and acceptance would be preached after healing (which comes with time) has happened. Well I was dead wrong.

Seven years on, nothing has changed much. It just takes me back to Easter Sunday of 2007 the day I made a decision that still hurts people up to now. It’s on this day, with a sound mind that I CHOOSE TO INVITE Jesus Christ in my life. A day before, I had mobilized and promised my pals that we would go to a drinking and a clubbing spree on Easter night.

When I broke the news to my pals that the program was off because it was not in line with my new lifestyle, they were very disappointed. Many left for good though I managed to win some back. Like them I was disappointed too. I didn't know that this is was just the beginning of my persecution for a decision I made willingly. My family could not deal with it. It’s after this that I deeply understood why Elijah had to free from Jezebel, a king's wife who was vying for his blood.

I don't blame Dad, I understand because a matter of fact, I would also be disappointed if my son doesn't take the path that I want him to. Truth be told, this was never about the path he wanted me to take, it was about the kind of son I want to be, the kind of son God wants me to be.

To all my friends, especially those that belong to the Islamic religion, I know it hurts and I feel your pain if a brother like you refer to any Muslim, converts to Christianity. Am that brother. Am not lost, I wasn't given money nor did i follow a pretty face like you always say. Rather I found light.

I want to say that am sorry if my decision to leave Islam hurt you, am sorry that I didn't follow the path you had prepared.

But I want to clearly and emphatically state it here that am not and will never be sorry for my decision, the decision I made to follow JESUS CHRIST. It’s a choice I embraced, a decision I will never ever regret.

To those of you who had hope that one day I will come back to my senses (as if am insane) and return to Islam. Am here to pour water onto your beacon, am not and will never come back to where I used to be. Am walking this journey well assured that this man Jesus is and will always be with me no matter what? Anger and resentment towards me will not only make you bitter, but also affect your health. Freeing yourselves from bitterness will help you live longer, so I ask you to help your health.

I pray that one day, God will meet you on your way to Damascus. I hope one day you will come to understand, accept and respect my decision even if you don't agree with it. That is called tolerance.

I must admit that I long for acceptance the same way the same way minority Muslims would demand for it in a predominately Christian community even though they don't accept Christians in their countries.


Image: inspiringbetterlife.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Okkk...What can I say? Thank God we have the right to faith..I can't help saying 'welcome to our world" I hope your family comes to terms with it and accepts you as that member of the family. It was a strong decision there! Am only glad you walked the mile Hood! And I pray that you find peace in that decision of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing what you went through just because you changed for the better. People prefer darkness to light. And hey why apologize, as in which doctor apologizes for giving a sick person an injection that will heal them or who apologizes to their friends for getting healed from a killer disease.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Can social distancing prevent the spread COVID-19 in Uganda?

Source: Petrol/CanStockPhoto In a country where most people live hand to mouth, and most business rely on daily consumer spend, advising people to stay home isn't viable. The brutal truth about social distancing is that people will loose wages and jobs. This will change the course of their lives in a traumatic way. We need to be able to sacrifice for each other, not only for the people who are vulnerable to Coronavirus but also to the people who maybe hurt and lose their livelihood as a result of social distancing. To some people losing their only source of survival is death in itself. Limiting social, prayer and political gathering to only 10 people while Owino, Kikuubo, Nakasero market, Nasser road and taxi parks(the most crowded places in Uganda) remain open is counter productive and defeats the understanding of many. It's similar to leaving your clothes in the dirt to dry after washing. And am not saying that these places should be closed, just pointing to the fla

THE HUSBAND WHOSE WIFE LEFT

He was shocked. He had been coming back home from an overtime shift with a bag of groceries for dinner, but there was nothing that could prepare him for this.  The apartment was empty: no wife, no kids. Just some old memories of what was, only a few days ago of an ordinary family life. He felt his legs sink, the knee caps shake and just like boiled spaghetti, his boneless body shrunk and gradually collapsed to the floor.  A shock of fear, a dread of not knowing. A sadness, a loneliness, a grief, a fear: it all came like an ocean wave, all at once. It all came as a single wave of pain and misery, an overwhelming feeling that nothing would ever again be okay. He rushed to the bedroom calling the kids name - Opio, Akello, Opio, Akello. The loud and chaotic response of "Yes Dad" was no more.  There, in the kids room, he found a simple note on the floor. He unfolded the letter and read it. His eyes widened as he read the note over and over again, each time feeling the dread inside

Day 12 of Reading The Purpose Driven Life

You're so close to God as you choose to be. Your friendship with God won't happen by mistake, it takes desire, time and energy. If you want an intimate, deeper connection with God, then you must work towards developing it.  An intimate relationship with God requires that you are totally honest with him about your faults and feelings. He doesn't require you to be perfect but He requires honesty, none of God's friends in the Bible was perfect. If perfection was a requirement, we would never be his friends. A deeper relationship with God also requires total obedience in him through faith. Trusting and doing what God says, even when you don't understand it, will deepen your relationship with him. Jesus said, "you're my friend if you do what I command ".  Friends care about what's important to the other person, the same applies to your relationship with God. You must choose to value what he values, the more you do that, the deeper your relationship w